Who Doesn't love a good Low Carb Pineapple Upside Down Cake?
My mother used to make pineapple upside down cakes all the time. As children it was a wonderful treat for the weekends. I made a low carb version of her cake hope you like it.
- 1 2/3 cup of almond flower
- 1/4 cup of swerve
- 1 cup of swerve brown sugar
- 1 tsp xanthan gum (or thickener of your choice)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup of almond milk
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup of butter
- 1 8 oz tub of plain greek yogurt)
- 1 large can for pineapple rings
- 3/4 cup of pineapple juice (from drained can of the pineapples)
- 10 to 12 maraschino cherries
- preheat oven to 325 F or 162 C
- using a bundt pan smear a good amount of butter all over the inside. ( you want you pine apples to stick, if your using a ridges curvy bundt pan.
- open pineapple can and drain juice in a measuring cup. ( should get around 3/4 cup. (if you don't thats ok just remember half goes in the cake later.)
- if your using a ridged curvy pineapple bunt pan cut pineapples in half and place the round side standing up in each ridge (video below). If your using a ring mold bundt pan just lay the pineapple down to form a ring around a round the pan.
- now add your cherries in between the pineapple rings. make sure to pull the stem off.
- in a small sauce pan turned on medium heat add half of the pine apple juice
- once the juice starts steaming add the butter let it melt.
- add the brown sugar and boil for only a few seconds
- remove from heat let cool for around 3 to 5 minutes
- slowly pour all the liquid in between the pineapples
- in a large bowl add almond flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, xanthan gum and whisk.
- mix in the eggs, vanilla, greek yogurt, and the other half of the pineapple juice.
- add the serve sugar and mix thoroughly.
- poor slowly in between the pineapple rings till you use it all.
- place in oven and bake for 1 hour (be sure to check with a tooth pick once its been around 50 to 55 minutes. You want the center to be completely done. (a clean toothpick should come out after checking the center) some ovens take longer may have to cook around 10 minutes longer
- after cake is done remove from oven and cool a good hr before turning the pan upside on a cake stand. If you don't let it cool and set you could mess up your cake if you turn it upside down to soon.
- last but not least, ENJOY!!
Prepping and cooking time around 1 hour 15 minutes
Nutritional Value per slice
Net Carbs 6.4g