Grilled Zucchini Filled With Chicken and Pesto is so darn good that you will want to eat the whole batch.
I love zucchini and love experimenting with my favorite foods. I seen a few recipes for hummus and zucchini roll ups and thought I'd try this. Let me tell you I am so glad I did as it is absolutely delicious. Will definitely be making these a lot. Give them a try you want be sorry. Be sure to let me know you made them.
Be sure to look at the pictures below the recipe before making. It is so worth the time it takes to make these.
Fry your chicken and bacon and set aside till needed. I sometimes cook my zucchini on the grill and sometimes I steam the slices in the microwave for about 50 to 60 seconds. I then cool them before adding the ingredients and rolling. I then put them in a baking pan and back on the grill. I promise this is a great snack or appetizer for company. They will love it.
- 4 large zucchini (around 10 inches long)
- 1/4 cup diced tomatoes (can use dried)
- 1 lb of cooked chicken tenders (diced into half of an inch or less pieces. The smaller the better)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon basil
- store bought pesto or (homemade recipe below)
- 2 tablespoons of pine-nuts to sprinkle over zucchini rolls when finished. (optional)
I use amazon fresh at least a few times or more a month and save on groceries. Try it out by clicking the link below.
Ingredients for homemade Pesto
- 2 cups of fresh basil packed (or 4 tablespoons of already shredded fresh) dont use dried fresh is better.
- 1/2 cup of grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 sliced of cooked till brown and crunchy bacon (keep bacon grease and add as well, but no more than a tablespoon)
- 1 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes. (optional)
Directions for pesto-Place all ingredients in a blender or food processor and blend until smooth. refrigerate till you make the rolls.
Directions For Zucchini Rolls
Yields 16 or more rolls (4 servings each) Prep time 15 minutes Cook time 6 to 8 minutes
- Preheat grill
- Trim the ends of your zucchini and slice lengthwise 1/4 inch think (I use a slicer get it here)
- Lay the zucchini on the grill and cook for 3 to 4 minutes. Don't flip.
- Transfer to a plate and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Let it cool.
- In a medium bowl stir in the ricotta cheese,chicken pieces, basil, salt, pepper, and diced tomatoes. Mix well by hand
- Spread pesto across the cooked zucchini and then the chicken mixture on top and roll it up and place on ends till all zucchini pieces are rolled. Can eat this way or place them in a baking pan and cook on the grill for about 5 to 8 more minutes. That's my favorite way.
Serve warm by putting them in the oven or back on the grill or serve them cold. Makes great appetizers or as a meal with a garden salad.
- when grilling the sliced zucchini wipe the grates with oil so they want stick.
- Zucchini can also be cooked in microwave for 55 to 60 seconds.(see Photos) Be sure to cool before adding the pesto, ricotta and chicken mixture.
Nutritional Value per 4 slices a person
Fat 15.7 g
Protein 8.2 g